skip to main content

Carlmont College Center


The College Center is open virtually for students. Students can send Mrs Rasor ( an email to answer any questions or for application support.

The College Center is located next the Counseling Office, between the Performing Arts Center and Administration Building (closed due to COVID)
Carlmont College & Career Calendar

Carlmont_College_&_Career_Calendar iconCarlmont College & Career Calendartitle

  • Carlmont College & Career

Naviance icon

Naviance is a free program for Carlmont students and parents. Naviance is a comprehensive college and career readiness solution that helps align student strengths and interests to post-secondary goals, and improve student outcome

You can link directly your Naviance account.
Class of 2021 - Senior Year Survey - ordering final transcript
Class of 2022 College 101 - Summer session June 2021
Naviance Parent Night Feb 2021 - passcode 0Ds5qR=^ 

Student volunteering list of opportunities is located on the Carlmont High School website under Student Life.

Student_volunteering_list_of_opportunities_is_located_on_the_Carlmont_High_School_website_under_Student_Life. icon
Student volunteering list of opportunities is located on the Carlmont High School website under Student Life.


Internships   icon

Richi Kumar for U.S. Congress - Click here for application
Joining the Fellowship Program would allow you to:
- Get a personal letter of recommendation at the end of the program upon request
- Get volunteer experience
- Earn valuable political and leadership experience while working alongside dozens of your peers
- Have the chance to win MVP awards and get recognized for your achievements at the weekly fellowship meeting as well as campaign gatherings.
- Have the chance to run for the California Democratic Party Executive Board or for a DNC Delegate position during the California Primaries
- Have the chance to earn passes to the California Democratic State Convention and even meet Presidential candidates
Boys and Girls Club of the Peninsula - Click here
Boys & Girls Clubs of the Peninsula (BGCP) is recruiting high schoolers and college students as volunteer Summer Interns at our Summer Learning Academy for our K-8 students in East Palo Alto and Redwood City. Every summer, BGCP hosts a robust summer program, complete with academic instruction to promote summer learning acceleration, and Camp Galileo curriculum for fun, curiosity, and energy. We rely on interns to support program execution and to act as additional positive role models in our students’ lives. 

Transcripts icon

Seniors sending transcripts to colleges

Some four year colleges request that students send their initial transcripts. Initial transcripts supply the college with grades until end of junior year. 

For CSU's - After applying to a CSU, you will be asked through email to create a portal.  You will need to check this portal regularly.  This is where they might ask for your initial transcript. Please do not request that we send it before the CSU asks. Majority of CSUs will not request transcripts until you have been admitted.

For UC's - UC usually will NOT want initial transcripts.  Please do not request an initial transcript for UCs unless you have been sent a notice from the UC to send one.

Transcripts for Common App - your counselor will send your initial transcripts with his/her LOR after your counselor appointment.
Final Transcript - This transcript includes all 8 semesters of high school and will list the date you graduate. The college you attend will require your final transcript. May of senior year you will reqired to complete the Senior Year Survey. Within the survey is the request to send your final transcript.
Class of 2021 - Senior Year Survey instructions
Please see either Mrs Rasor or Mrs Abelt if you need an initial transcript for your application that is NOT
Common App

There is a one time $5 fee for transcripts. You can order as many transcripts as needed with the one time fee. Fee's can be paid in the Counseling Office in May of your senior year. 


If you have graduated and need a Carlmont High School transcript, contact our Counseling Office
Last Name A - L   Ms Chamorro
Last Name M - Z  Ms Despain
Summer 2021 programs

Summer_2021_programs icon
Summer 2021 programs

These programs are neither sponsored by nor affiliated with Carlmont High School. Each program will have their own specific costs, deadlines and criteria. Participation in these programs will most likely not increase your chance of college admission. It is the parent and student's responsibility to evaluate the value of each program.


Sports Business Boot Camp

This is a "can't miss" educational and career-based opportunity for high school students who are passionate about sports to learn more about careers in sports, gain knowledge/mentorship regarding best steps to take, and much more. More Info


PreCollege UC Berkeley

Be part of UC Berkeley’s virtual campus this summer and attend the Pre-College Scholars: Summer Virtual program which offers high school students the opportunity to enroll in online courses while earning UC Berkeley credit. More Info


USC Summer Programs

USC Summer Programs extends a tradition of excellence to outstanding high school students through a diverse offering of 4-week summer courses. Accepted students will engage in academically rigorous courses designed for online learning, have access to USC faculty who are leaders in their fields and explore growing academic passions at the university level. More Info


Design Day at University of Idaho

Students in grades 9-12 will experience immersive workshops in a virtual university environment while completing hands-on projects in a discipline they choose. In these dynamic workshops, they’ll learn about design, meet our amazing design faculty and explore majors in the topics that interest them. More info


Stanford Pre-Collegiate Studies 

Our participants are adventurous, highly motivated, and passionate in their desire to come together and deepen their learning. While exploring new subjects and making friendships to last a lifetime, they will gain new insights into themselves and what really motivates them. More Info


Sally Ride Science at UC San Diego 

Our Junior Academy online workshops let students entering grades 3-12 investigate coding, engineering, space science, marine biology and more. This year, students will earn 1.5 pre-college credits for each workshop. Save by taking advantage of our early registration discount. Spark your imagination this summer with fascinating and fun STEAM workshops.More Info


Quarter Zero - Live and Virtual in Santa Barbara

As with all our programs, we have real entrepreneurs teach our courses. We don’t believe in long-lectures or having professors with minimal startup experience teach. Our masterclasses are designed to specifically focus on one core concept, each with immediate next steps for integrating. Masterclasses will be a mix of Zoom calls, VR fireside chats, QØ’s animated curriculum, and more.

Click here


Pre-College at Academy of Art in SF 

The Pre-College Art Experience (PCAE) at Academy of Art University is a tuition-FREE art and design education program for high school students. It’s a great opportunity to jump-start your art and design education while earning money toward your college degree. You can take the pre-college program on our campus in San Francisco or online year-round.  More Info


COSMOS at UC Davis - Deadline Feb 19 

COSMOS is an intensive four-week summer residential program for students who have demonstrated an aptitude for academic and professional careers in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) subjects. Talented and motivated students completing grades 8-12 have the opportunity to work with renowned faculty, researchers and scientists in state-of-the-art facilities, while exploring advanced STEM topics far beyond the courses usually offered in California high schools.


Edge Summer College Program - University of Delaware - Application deadline April 1, 2021

Edge offers you the challenge, independence and excitement of a learning experience that can only be found at a top national university.
Reynolds Young Writers Workshop at Denison University - Application deadline March 7, 2021
The workshop is an eight-day residential program that incorporates small creative writing workshops, group sessions with Denison creative writing faculty and notable visiting writers, and much more. Sessions are open to current sophomores and juniors.
Pre-College at University of Chicago - Deadline of Feb 24
Pre College at UCSB 
UC Santa Barbara Summer Sessions offers a variety of Pre-College Programs that provide students with unique opportunities to earn college credit while in high school. Simultaneously, these programs are designed to shape each student's academic, professional, personal, and social development. Our programs challenge high school students by exposing them to the academic excellence of UC Santa Barbara while immersing them in the university’s social environment. More Info
Pre-College at Smith 
Remote and online summer opportunities. There are clear ways to make your college applications—and yourself—stand out. Learn the latest insights and insider expertise from admission professionals about how to succeed in the application process.
AI Summer Camp
 Learn AI in a small classroom setting, build a project, meet career speakers. Session will be online. More info
Academic Connections at UC San Diego - Dive into some of the most exciting fields of research and study at a top-five, internationally ranked public institution. Academic Connections provides high achieving high school students an online summer experience that is academically enriching while learning from the brightest graduate students UC San Deigo has to offer. More info
Headwaters Science Institute
 We engage students' natural curiosity, guiding them to desgin and perform experiments that answer their own questions through the scientiful method.
Financial Aid - Steps

Financial_Aid_-_Steps icon
Financial Aid - Steps

Financial Aid Basics

Financial Aid is available to help students attend an accredited vocational, community college, or four-year college/university.

The deadline to complete FAFSA is March 2 of the student's senior year. Our district has submitted the Cal Grant GPA on the students behalf.

Complete the FAFSA

  • Student must be US Citizen (or eligible non-citizens);
  • Have a valid Social Security Number (DACA is not valid for the FAFSA);
  • Plan to earn a high school diploma or GED;
  • Males must also register with the Selective Service System when required.
FAFSA covers financial support from these main sources:
  • Federal Student Aid. Includes Pell Grant, Work Study, and Parent/Student Loans. (Grants to do not have to be repaid).

  • CA Student Aid. Includes *Cal Grants, Middle Class Grant, FSEOG Grant, EOP Grant, Board of Governor’s Community College Fee Waiver, and Chafee (Foster Youth) Grant.

  • Institutional Aid. Typically given by private colleges. In addition to the FAFSA, some private colleges ask students to complete the CSS Profile or an institutional financial aid supplement. Check the campus website.

Undocumented students

Seniors with DACA or do not have a valid Social Security Number can apply for Cal Grant programs. To apply the student must:
  • Attend a CA high school for at least 3 years; and
  • Plan to graduate from CA high school; and
  • Complete the Dream Act Application by March 2nd of senior year.

After your FAFSA or Dream App has been processed, go to webgrants to create an account to check the status of your Cal Grant.
Financial Aid Presentations
Senior Scholarship Search

Senior_Scholarship_Search iconSenior Scholarship Searchtitle

In addition to applying for financial aid, seniors can also research scholarships. Here are some basic steps when considering where to start looking for scholarships.

1) Check the campus financial aid websites you applied to.

2) Check with your parent's employers.

3) If you or your parents belong to any local organizations (church, Rotary, etc.), check if they offer scholarships.

4) Check out Carlmont's Scholarship List on Naviance. To view the list, log into Naviance then go to the "college" tab and scroll down to Scholarship List.
5)  Search known websites that have a list of scholarships or offer scholarships (see links below).
Information on scholarships and grants
Our own Carlmont PTSA offers scholarships in the amount of $750.00. Up to 10 scholarships may be awarded by the Carlmont PTSA to deserving applicants.

To qualify for the Carlmont High School PTSA scholarship, students must be a registered member of the PTSA by February and must be or have been a volunteer for our school and/or community. Please note: this year the scholarship is focused on community service and does not have a leadership component as in previous years. More information on this scholarship will be available soon.
SAT/ACT Scores

SAT/ACT_Scores icon
SAT/ACT Scores

College Admission Tests - UC and CSU will not accept SAT/ACT for Class of 2022 applicants

A college admission test is optional of most four-year college and universities.A few 4 year colleges still require the exams, check the college website to verify their requirements.

Exams are held on a Saturday mornings, at various testing centers during school year. The SAT is given in October, November, December, January, March, May, June and August. The ACT and ACT Plus are held in September, October, December, February, April and June.

The general time to take a test is Spring semester junior year. If you are applying to private colleges, check websites for deadlines to submit test scores.

Carlmont is a testing center. In order to secure a spot at Carlmont, register early (at least a month or two in advance). Although Carlmont is a testing center, the exam is conducted by College Board.

How to Register

Register for SAT at College Board website. The cost to register is $54.50 per test date.

Register for ACTor ACT Plus at ACT website. The cost to register is $38 or *ACT Plus Writing $54.50. 

Fee Waivers (covers registration cost) are available for eligible students. Visit the College Center or your counselor if you need a fee waiver.

The registration costs above include the option to send official scores to four campuses (when you register for a test). If you wait to send scores, the cost will be $11.25 (SAT) or $12 (ACT) per campus. Read "Sending Scores" section below to learn how to save money when sending scores to UC and CSU campuses.

Sending Scores

When you apply to colleges, during fall of senior year, you enter your test scores on college applications AND you log into your College Board and/or ACT accounts to send scores to colleges.

If you are applying to privates and out-of-state colleges and universities, send official SAT scores to each campus if they require it

Deadline to Send Test Scores to Colleges

 Private or out-of-state college and universities have different deadlines by when official scores must be received - check campus website for deadlines.

If you are applying Early Action or Early Decision deadlines, your official test scores must be received by the application deadline. It may take up to four weeks for your scores to arrive, so plan ahead.

Subject Tests

Selective private colleges may require subject tests. Visit the campus admission website for details.

AP Tests

AP test are not required to apply to college. Therefore, seniors do not have to send official AP scores until summer and send only to the campus you will be attending. However, if you are using an AP score to validate an "A-G" requirement, then you must make sure to send the official AP scores to admission.

AP scores can be used for General Elective credit and/or English and math placement.
Community College

Community_College iconCommunity Collegetitle

California Community Colleges

California’s community college system is a great place to start your college experience. The benefits include:

• More time to explore universities or a major.
• Save money on tuition (and housing)
• Higher chance of being admitted (or guaranteed admission) to a selective CSU or UC campus; and
• Opportunity to explore vocational program or 2 year degree careers.

If you are interested in starting your college experience at a community college, we recommend taking a community college course during high school. Community college courses are FREE to high school students and gives high school students access to start earning community college credit (UC/CSU transferrable courses) without having to take AP exams.

To enroll in a community college course, talk to your high school counselor or visit the College Center for a Concurrent Enrollment Form.

Transfer Programs

If you plan to transfer to a UC or CSU campus, you do not have to take SAT/ACT. However, we recommend taking an ACT or SAT so that you may be able to use them instead of taking a math and English placement test.

Once you are ready to transfer, your high school GPA and grades are not a part of your UC or CSU transfer application. This means that community college is a fresh academic start!

How long does it take to transfer?

Many high school graduates plan to transfer to a UC or CSU campus after attending a community college for two years. However, the number of years it takes to transfer depends on how long it takes a student to complete transfer requirements.

We recommend students challenge themselves in English and math every year in high school so that they are prepared to take placement test that allows them to enroll in college-level transfer courses after graduating from Carlmont.

UC’s Transfer Guarantee Admission (TAG)

There are six UC campuses (Davis, Irvine, Merced, Riverside, Santa Barbara, and Santa Cruz) that offer transfer guarantee admission to students from California community colleges who meet campus-specific requirements. Transfer students can TAG to one of these six UC campuses yet also apply to other UC campuses that do not have a guarantee admission program (such as UCLA, Cal, UC San Diego).

Click here to learn about UC's TAG program

CSU Transfer Guarantee Programs

Community college students who wish to transfer to a CSU campuses are guaranteed admission if the campus and/or major are not impacted and the student earns a two-year degree.

Click here to learn more about CSU’s guarantee transfer program.

How to apply to a community college

There will be several workshops at Carlmont to help seniors get ready to enroll at a community college. Students who are 18 years old or have a high school diploma or equivalent are eligible to apply.

Seniors begin their application at CCCApply.

After you apply, check email for next steps. In most cases, steps will most likely include:
• How to log into your Web Smart account, using your G#, to register for placement test
• When to take an English and/or Math placement test
• Attend orientation or meet with a community college counselor after you get your placement test results
• How to register for classes, check financial aid status, and pay registration fees.
University of California (UC)

University_of_California_(UC) iconUniversity of California (UC)title

University of California

If you are considering attending a four-year university that prepares you to think critically and analytically, then you may want to consider attending a UC campus. UC education centers on helping students develop research and theoretical skills.

All UC campuses (except for Merced and Berkeley) are quarter-system. This means classes last ten weeks (which implies that every five weeks you are taking a mid-term or a final).

Research if a UC campus is the right fit for you:

Click here to learn more about the University of California system.

Select a UC campus on this map to view a list of majors available at each campus. You can also click on the major to get a description or a link to the major's website.

Click here to view a list of Carlmont's UC/CSU Approved course list.

Click here
to read how applications are reviewed for each UC campus.

Click here to learn about UC's Financial Aid Programs
California State University (CSU)

California_State_University_(CSU) icon
California State University (CSU)

The California State University (CSU) System

The California State University system (CSU) is one of two public university systems in California. There are 24 CSU campuses located throughout California – the CSU system offers a college education that is hands-on and career-focused.

CSU campuses have a variety of majors. To view list of majors offered by campus, click on the campus name on this CSU map.

The Application Process
  • Complete UC/CSU “A – G” requirements with “C” or higher during high school. View a list of Carlmont’s approved CSU courses here.
  • Have a 2.0 GPA (10th & 11th CSU/UC GPA) OR a 2900 SAT or 694 ACT Eligibility Index 
  • Apply to each campus on Cal State Apply during the months of October or November of senior year.
The Selection Process: Impacted vs. Non-impacted Campuses

A non- impacted campus has enough space to guarantee admission to all applicants that meet the minimum admission requirements above.

An impacted campus is when a campus receives more applications than space allows. Impacted campuses rank applicants and admit based on Eligibility Index. Some campuses rank your index by major. 

How to calculate your Eligibility Index:

If you took the SAT, campuses you apply to will calculate your index by multiplying your CSU (10th & 11th A-G) GPA x 800. Then the campus adds the highest SAT Critical Reading and Math score from any test date.
  • For ex: (GPA x 800) + (Highest Critical Reading + Math Scores) = SAT Eligibility Index
If you took the ACT, campuses multiply your composite ACT score by 10 and multiply your weighted 10-12 A-G GPA by 200. Then they add the sums.

  • For ex: (ACT x 10) + (GPA x 200) = ACT Eligibility Index.
CSU campuses will super score if you provide more than one test date. This means they use the highest section in Critical Reading and Math from any SAT test date and/or they use sub-scores from more than one ACT test to give you a higher ACT composite score.

Contact icon

Name (Click on Name for Email) Dial (650) 595-0210 and the extension below: Phone
DePaoli, Tammy Head Counselor 30090
Abelt, Irma School Registrar 30095
Chamorro, Yvonne Guidance Information Specialist 30097
DeSpain, Elizabeth Guidance Information Specialist 30096
Dominguez, Connie Counselor 30094
Ibarra, Maria Counselor 30098
Ledesma, Matthew Counselor 30088
Miller, Kimberly Counselor 30091
Rasor, Nina College and Career Assistant 33100
Smith, Julia Counselor 35004
Torres, Theresa Counselor 30092
Vernon, Kristin Counselor 30093
Yokomura, Ross Counselor 30099